2019 Wings Out West Air Show
“Celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day Invasion,
Honoring WWII Veterans”
Saturday, October 5, 2019
9am-2pm (Aerial Performance starting at 10am)
WHERE: Prescott Regional Airport, Ernest A. Love Field – Embry Riddle Flight Line
WHEN: Saturday, October 5, 2019; 9am-2pm (with aerial performances starting at 10am)
WHAT: Aerial performances, Static Displays, Food Vendors, Simulator Flying, and much more fun for all ages
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED – Please see below to sign-up to help with this exciting event
The City of Prescott and Embry Riddle Aeronautical University are excited to bring you the 2019 Wings Out West Air Show and will feature a wide assortment of planes, performances, food vendors, special events, and more! This event is FREE to the public. Gates open at 9am.
This year’s show celebrates the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day Invasion, with Guest of Honor, Lt. Colonel (RET) Dave Hamilton. Lt. Col Dave Hamilton is the last living Pathfinder pilot that flew on D-Day. He’ll be joining the Wings Out West celebration as a guest of honor upon his return from England and France where he attended ceremonies honoring the 75th anniversary of the D-Day invasion and its veterans.
On December 8, 1941, Dave Hamilton enlisted in the Army Air Force and trained as C-47 pilot. Dave was assigned to the 436th Troop Carrier Group, 9th Air Force, and sent to Bottesford Base, England. He went through Pathfinder Pilot training and was assigned to the Pathfinder Unit. During his first mission, he dropped pathfinder paratroopers into Normandy, France on D-Day; June 6, 1944. In August of 1944, he dropped pathfinder paratroopers into Dragoon in Southern France, and in September 1944, into Market Garden, Holland.
He received four Air Medals, nine stars on ETO campaign ribbon, two Presidential Unit Citations, Order of William from Holland, and was awarded the French Legion of Honor Medal. He also earned his jump wings from the 82nd Airborne.
Come celebrate with us as we honor Lt. Colonel Hamilton and World War II Veterans, as we feature a wide assortment of World War II Aircraft (both on static display and in the Aerial presentation), including a re-enactment of a combat parachute drop by the Liberty Jump Team.
Wings Out West Air Show events, times, and details are subject to change, so check back often for the most up to date information on what you can expect for this year’s exciting aerial performances and crowd-pleasing activities!
For additional information on this year’s Wings Out West, please contact Airport Administration at 928-777-1114.
Take a ride in a historic aircraft
Attendees at this year’s Wings Out West will have the opportunity to purchase a ride on a historic aircraft. Some aircraft will be available for rides starting September 30. For more information on aircraft, availability, and how to purchase your ride, please click here.
This year’s Wings Out West features the dynamic trio of Matt Chapman, Bill Stein, and Rob Holland in their aerobatic aircraft. Additionally, the show welcomes back skydiver Cindy Irish as she jumps with the US Flag in tow. Attendees will also have the chance to not only see the historic C-74 “D-Day Doll” flying in the aerial performance but will also be on display. For more information on the performers at this year’s Wings Out West Air Show, please visit https://prescott.erau.edu/octoberwest/wings-out-west-airshow.
Limited Parking will be available at Prescott Regional Airport. For parking at Prescott Regional Airport, all traffic should enter the Airport at Deep Well Ranch Rd. Traffic will be re-routed to Additional Parking at Heights Church off Highway 89A once Airport Parking is full.
Additional Parking will be available at The Heights Church, located at 2121 E. Larry Caldwell Dr., Prescott, AZ 86301. Shuttle service will be available to the event.
ADA Accessible Parking will be available at the Centennial Center, located at 1989 Wineglass Dr., Prescott, AZ 86301 with ADA Shuttle to the event. Please take the Airport Exit off the Deep Well Ranch roundabout for access to the ADA lot.
Volunteers can sign up for multiple time slots or for multiple groups as long as times don’t conflict.
Group 1: Gates – Date: October 5, 2019
- Total number required for 2 gates: 16 People
- There are 4 shifts
- 0730-0930: 4 people (2 for each gate)
- 0930-1130: 4 people
- 1130-1330: 4 people
- 1330-1530: 4 people
- Group 1 is required to be at a pre-air show briefing/practice Friday 10/4/19 at 1730. Meeting will go for no more than 2 hours. This meeting will include a classroom briefing and a practice run out on the airfield.
- Group 1 is required to be at their assigned positions on time the day of the event.
Group 2: Parking Directors – Date: October 5, 2019
- Total number required for 3 parking lots: 32 People
- 4 Shifts
- 0730-0930: 8 people (3 for the infield parking, 3 for the heights church parking, 2 for ADA parking at centennial lot)
- 0930-1130: 8 people
- 1130-1330: 8 people
- 1330-1530: 8 people
- Group 2 is required to be at a pre-air show briefing/practice Friday 10/4/19 at 1730. Meeting will go for no more than 2 hours. This meeting will include a classroom briefing and a practice run out on the airfield.
- Group 2 is required to be at their assigned positions on time the day of the event.
Group 3: Set up – Date: October 3, 2019
- No required number
- Group 3 will meet at the airport administration building (6546 Crystal Lane, Prescott AZ, 86301) on Thursday 10/3/19 and may work between the hours of 1500 and 1900 for as long as they please to help set up for the air show.
Group 4: Clean up – Date: October 5, 2019
- No required number
- Group 4 will meet at the airport administration building (6546 Crystal Lane, Prescott AZ, 86301) on Saturday 10/5/19 and may work between the hours of 1600 and 2000 for as long as they please to help clean up after the air show.